Our history

2012– Jewish Care Scotland awarded The Queen’s Award for Volunteering- the MBE for volunteer groups- in recognition of its outstanding voluntary work in the community.

The Lord Lieutenant presents The Queen's Award for Volunteering

 

 

 

 2008- Jewish Care Scotland marked 150 years of continuous caring with a year full of events, special fundraising and celebrations.

150 Years of Jewish Care Scotland...A Caring Community
 

Glasgow City Council and East Renfrewshire Council each hosted a civic function to celebrate the history and communal contribution of Jewish Care Scotland.

Jewish Care Scotland published A Caring Community…150 years of Jewish Care Scotland researched and written by Sharon Barron.

21 Jewish Symbols, an embroidered panel stitched by ladies from the Arts and Crafts Clubs, was gifted to East Renfrewshire Council and is now exhibited in East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters.

 1999
Jewish Care Scotland moved into the purpose built Walton Community Care Centre, along with Cosgrove Care and the Jewish Blind Society.

1996
A radical change – the Glasgow Jewish Welfare Board was professionalised, changed its name to Jewish Care Scotland and moved from Coplaw Street to temporary premises within the Maccabi complex in Giffnock. A chief executive was appointed, together with professional social workers and staff. East Renfrewshire Council entered into a partnership arrangement with Jewish Care Scotland, leading to the development of a seconded social work team and a day care service. The partnership gave the community a unique one door approach to statutory and voluntary services. The Welfare Agency changed its name to the Social Care Agency and volunteers and professional staff joined together for the increased benefit of those in the community in need of help and support.

1970
The Glasgow Jewish Board of Guardians was renamed The Glasgow Jewish Welfare Board, coinciding with a move into new premises at 49 Coplaw Street and to reflect changing public attitudes to welfare services.

1926
The Glasgow Jewish Board of Guardians opened their new administrative offices and communal hall at 52 Thistle Street, Gorbals.

1917
The Glasgow Jewish Board of Guardians and Philanthropic Association became The Glasgow Jewish Board of Guardians.

1911
The charity moved from Garnethill to the Gorbals where most of those making a claim on its funds resided. The organisation was based in a large main door flat at 11 Apsley Place.

1867
The merged Glasgow Jewish Board of Guardians and Philanthropic Association took on responsibility for the relief of the poor.

1866
The Synagogue Council amalgamated its charity work with the Glasgow Hebrew Philanthropic Society.

1858
The earliest written record of the Glasgow Hebrew Philanthropic Society. Our roots go back to the earliest days of the Scottish Jewish community when charitable caring for those in need was a priority for everyone in the community. The Society is recorded in the Minutes of the first synagogue opened in George Street, requesting the use of a room to dispense charity to Glasgow’s Jewish needy.